Play & Learn at Home
Virtual PHPL Children’s Programs – March & April Schedule
Enjoy Pauline Haass Public Library programs from the safety of your home! Join us for weekly Family Storytimes, Nightlight Storytimes, Lunchtime Chapters, American Girl of the Week, Virtual Lab Time, and Virtual Touch, Play, Move and More.
While the library is closed, consider participating in Safe at Home Bingo!
Stuck at Home? Check out these fun resources to keep the whole family occupied!
Tired of the children’s books in your house? Check out our new subscription to TumbleBooks! Available on your computer or as an app, TumbleBooks has picture books, non-fiction, chapter books, and even graphic novels. TumbleBooks even offers Spanish and French titles. With read-along and video book options there is something for everyone on TumbleBooks.
Login to the library account for free access to all TumbleBooks has to offer!
TumbleBooks will be available through August 31,2020.
Screen Time for Kids — Important information
- How To Provide Kids with Screen Time that Supports Learning: Informative article that describes using media to support literacy.
- Screen Use Tied to Children’s Brain Development: The Latest brain research reveals what is most supportive of early brain development.
- What the American Academy of Pediatrics has to say: The AAP “provides policies, information, advice and resources about families’ and children’s interactions with various forms of media.”
Homework Resources for Kids
- Brittanica Online – Elementary School Edition: Use this database to find level-appropriate reference articles, multimedia, and other content to help with homework and school projects. (Note: You will need your library barcode number to log in from home.)
- Learning Express Library: Visit the School Center – Elementary Section for help with math, language arts, and more. (Note: You will need your library barcode number to log in from home.)
- NoveList K-8: Use this database to find books for your grade and reading level to fit any interest or mood. (Note: You will need your library barcode number to log in from home.)
- Science Bob: This website offers science fair ideas, experiments, research help, videos, and projects for gadget makers and tinkerers. Bob Plfugfelder is a science teacher and author of the “Nick and Tesla” series.
Just for Fun: Games and Websites
- ChessKid: Learn and play chess with kids from around the world. Sign-up is required for this safe and friendly site.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Web version. Read this kids’ best-seller right here online.
- Disney Fairies Pirate Fairy Code: Spell words based upon each fairies’ characteristics.
- Disney Frozen Double Trouble: Help Anna and Elsa on their mountain journey.
- Hidden Picture Puzzles: Play this old Highlights favorite online with clicking and colors!
- Jokes: Watch video clips of Highlights kids teaching you new jokes.
- Outer Space Math Games: Slash asteroids and encounter aliens while practicing easy math at Funbrain.
- My Storybook: Learn how to craft a book step by step with characters, pictures, drawings, and writing, and share your book online.
- Nick Jr. Coloring Book: Color your favorite characters
- Nick Jr. Free Draw: You be the artist!
- Puppy Playground: Games played by all of the Nick Jr. pups, hosted by Dora.
- Paw Patrol Pup-Fu: Martial arts color-matching game.
- Pokemon Trainer Club: Play a variety of online Pokemon games (account creation required).
- Scratch: Create stories, games, and animations to share.
- Starfall: Enjoy ABC’s, reading, math, and songs.
- Trains4Kids: Stories, Games & Activities, and Videos for young rail fans.