Play & Learn at Home
Homework Resources for Kids
- HelpNow: This service offers live online tutoring, a writing lab, test preparation, curated lessons and tutorials, customizable study tools, and more. HelpNow is free to use with your library card, so check it out today!
- Brittanica Online – Elementary School Edition: Use this database to find level-appropriate reference articles, multimedia, and other content to help with homework and school projects. (Note: You will need your library barcode number to log in from home.)
- Learning Express Library: Visit the School Center – Elementary Section for help with math, language arts, and more. (Note: You will need your library barcode number to log in from home.)
- Mathigon: A visually beautiful, interactive online library of math animations, games, illustrations, and more. Grades 3-12.
- NoveList K-8: Use this database to find books for your grade and reading level to fit any interest or mood. (Note: You will need your library barcode number to log in from home.)
- Prodigy Game: Help Your Child Learn Essential Math Skills With A Highly Engaging Math Game.
- Science Bob: This website offers science fair ideas, experiments, research help, videos, and projects for gadget makers and tinkerers. Bob Plfugfelder is a science teacher and author of the “Nick and Tesla” series.
Screen Time for Kids — Important information
- How To Provide Kids with Screen Time that Supports Learning: Informative article that describes using media to support literacy.
- Screen Use Tied to Children’s Brain Development: The Latest brain research reveals what is most supportive of early brain development.
- What the American Academy of Pediatrics has to say: The AAP “provides policies, information, advice and resources about families’ and children’s interactions with various forms of media.”
Just for Fun: Games and Websites
- ChessKid: Learn and play chess with kids from around the world. Sign-up is required for this safe and friendly site.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Web version. Read this kids’ best-seller right here online.
- Disney Fairies Pirate Fairy Code: Spell words based upon each fairies’ characteristics.
- Hidden Picture Puzzles: Play this old Highlights favorite online with clicking and colors!
- Jokes: Watch video clips of Highlights kids teaching you new jokes.
- Outer Space Math Games: Slash asteroids and encounter aliens while practicing easy math at Funbrain.
- My Storybook: Learn how to craft a book step by step with characters, pictures, drawings, and writing, and share your book online.
- Nick Jr. Coloring Book: Color your favorite characters
- Nick Jr. Free Draw: You be the artist!
- Puppy Playground: Games played by all of the Nick Jr. pups, hosted by Dora.
- Paw Patrol Pup-Fu: Martial arts color-matching game.
- Pokemon Trainer Club: Play a variety of online Pokemon games (account creation required).
- Scratch: Create stories, games, and animations to share.
- Scribbles and Ink: Encourages kids to draw, paint, make art and express themselves.
- Starfall: Enjoy ABC’s, reading, math, and songs.